Sunday, January 6, 2008

Chili on a rainy day


Today it's been raining most of the day and I decided to make a big batch of crock pot chili so we could have that as our meal of the week. I generally make a big batch of something on the weekend that we can have as leftovers during the week because our schedules are a little weird and it's good to have something ready at any time of the day or late night. :-)  So today I made a recipe from my cookbook called "Fix- it and Forget- it Cookbook, Feasting with your Slow Cooker."   There were many chili recipes to pick from so my choice was based on how much time I had which wasn't much. (I didn't get back from the store until 4pm which is bad for a slow cooker.)  I found one that needed 4 hours to cook and told Chad we'd be having a late dinner. :-) It turned out fantastic so I just had to share it. This recipe is courtesy of Jeanne Allen from Rye, CO.  I don't know Jeanne but I thank her for her fabulous chili.


Trail Chili
2lbs ground beef
1 large onion diced
1  28-oz can diced tomatoes
2  8-oz cans tomato puree (paste)
2 cans kidney or pinto beans undrained. I use pinto because I prefer them
4-oz can diced green chilies
1 cup water
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. mild chili powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. pepper
1. Brown beef and onion in skillet. Drain. Place in slow cooker on high
2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook on high 30 minutes
3. Reduce heat to low. Cook 4-6 hours.  (I chose 4 because of my lack of time. :-) )
Top individual servings with shredded cheese. 

No comments: