Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summer Update


Summer is flying by, isn't it? It seems like not too long ago that we were moving into our new house but now it feels like we've lived here for quite a while now. I've been finding it a little difficult to keep up with both of my blogs. I have been focusing more on my quilting blog and falling behind on this one. So this is my attempt on an update... on everything. :-)
At the end of June, Chad was closing up shop at Xump and we were getting ready to take a little trip to Mammoth. We thought he was going to be unemployed for a while, but the day after he finished up at Xump, he was hired on at Aaron Brothers/Michaels. What an answer to prayer! He found out he was starting the following Monday, so we cut our trip to Mammoth a little short but still spent a few days celebrating my Dad's birthday and the 4th of July which happen to coincide. :-) The above photo is from the 4th of July Parade in Mammoth. When we got back he went straight to work and has been doing that ever since. He spent one week in Dallas for training which was the longest we had ever been apart since we got married. I missed him so much! But we talked every night and I heard all about the fun stuff he was learning.
I participated in a placemat swap that a woman was hosting on Flickr where you are paired up with another quilter and you make them a gift and send it to them. My partner was a woman who lives nears Leeds in England and she made me a beautiful placemat. I made one for her little son and I've heard that he likes it a lot. It was fun to have a connection in England since I went to school there for a semester in college. She sent me a couple packages of digestives (yum) and I sent her some gourmet salsas and fabric with her placemat.
My mom and I went to the quilt show in Long Beach last weekend and had a very good time there. She stayed over for two nights which was really fun! We both have an affinity for shopping for fabric and we shopped till we almost dropped at the quilt show. We also had a wonderful time looking at all the amazing quilts.
Chad and I are currently looking to get a car to replace the Altima I've had since 2000. It's at that point that we're hoping nothing else breaks so we don't have to put more money into it. It would be great for Chad to have a more reliable car to drive to work. I am still really enjoying driving the highlander but it poses a little bit of a challenge because the other car can't be too big, or it won't fit in the garage. We are so happy to have a garage after living in an apartment, and we intend to take full advantage of it.
My brother is coming out for a visit in a couple weeks and we are so excited to be able to show him our new place. We are really enjoying it and look forward to entertaining more guests in the future. Hopefully some house guests... Shelly? Liesl? :-)

No comments: