Friday, November 9, 2007

Turduckens


I recently discovered some very interesting poultry knowledge. It's so interesting that I want to do a public service and share it with everyone (Liesl and Chad) who reads my blog.
A Turducken is a de-boned turkey stuffed with a de-boned duck, which itself is stuffed with a small de-boned chicken. The name is a portmanteau (a word that fuses words together to give it a combined meaning) of those ingredients, turkey, duck, and chicken. The cavity of the chicken and the rest of the gaps are filled with a seasoned breadcrumb mixture or sausage meat, although some versions have a different stuffing for each bird. Some recipes call for the turkey to be stuffed with a chicken which is then stuffed with a duckling. But I don't want to think about ducklings so I will move on.
A variation of this interesting meal is a turduckencorpheail. This is a standard turducken, which is then stuffed with a cornish game hen, which is then stuffed with a pheasant, and finally stuffed with a quail. Ewwww is all I have to say to that.
In my somewhat unknowledgable opinion all of this sounds disgusting, but I have heard it is actually a very tasty treat. If anyone has tried these interesting meals, I would appreciate your input. :-)

No comments: